Monday 11th June 2018 8:53 pm
All the things I've been meaning to post and haven't got round to.
1. There was an interesting episode of Timeless this series where they went back to 1919 and it was all about women's suffrage. Which was interesting because there's been so much about a hundred years of women's suffrage in this country. I never considered what it was like in America. The answer, when I looked it up, was complicated, because different states had different things going on. But Alice Paul, who was in the episode, really existed.
2. In May my morris side started dancing out one evening a week. Although due to illness and holiday and a clash with choir, I've only made it to three so far. Given that I don't hate driving to places I don't know, it's been a bit nerve-wracking. Especially to one pub in a tiny village in the middle of nowhere, and I only knew the first five minutes of the route. I am very glad of my sat nav and Google Street View, so I can do the route the night before and know what I'm looking for. Although Google's directions were a bit interesting one week when they told me it was right by the dual carriageway, so all I had to do was to turn off it. Completely ignoring that I can only come off it at a junction.
We dance in clogs, which made things interesting to start with. There's a lot going on underneath, so it's a bit like walking in platforms, which I've never done before. At first I felt like I was going to fall over just walking, never mind dancing. But now I've got used to them and my only problem is going too excited and ending up on tiptoes. And dancing on ground that turns out to be uneven, which can make things a bit interesting.
3. After looking through a load of summaries for unconventionalcourtship, when I came to sign up I picked the first one I have saved. I have 800 words on it so far and I know where it ends, just not quite so sure on how to get there yet. Some of the wording still might change a bit, but the summary is:
to the country offered Barbara Wright the chance to make a settled, secure life for herself. But there was a complication – in the shape of her ex-fiancé, millionaire ex-colleague Ian Chesterton. He was still the gorgeous man who had swept her off her feet before – and the attraction between them was electric!
It would have been easy for Barbara to
let Ian seduce her seduce Ian. But not so simple to explain the secret she'd kept hidden for years she was keeping hidden. If Ian learned the truth, would he be so keen to reclaim his runaway bride colleague?
4. I have a hamster - his name is Sammy. I've actually had him for three weeks, but he's scared of everything. It's only in the past week when he's started to take food from me. Although that can take a while because he's scared of the rustle of the bag of treats and scared of the noise the box of food makes... The cage is in a bit of a dark corner, but I managed to take a photo one morning, when he got out of bed when I was having breakfast.
Categories: Animals, Dance, Fan fic, Life, TV : Life, Morris dancing, Sammy, Timeless, Writing |
Reply to this post |
No comments |
Sunday 8th January 2017 5:27 pm
1. I finally got round to seeing which Gen Prompt Bingo squares my Yuletide fics might fit on. And I now have four lines with three squares filled. You think it would be easy to get a line from there...
2. Looking through the Chocolate Box requests I found a person who has loads of the same fandoms (and likes the same relationships) as me. I sort of hope I get matched to them, but also sort of not because how will I decide which to write? Chocolate Box is a min 300 word exchange based on relationships - but unlike Public Call it splits them into gen and ship. If anyone wants to write treats the requests are at http://archiveofourown.org/collections/chocolatebox2017/requests
3. After lost_spook mentioned it, I have now watched all four episodes of Timeless that are on Channel 4's catchup. I like it so far but it feels a bit formulaic. So, for example, my favourite character is Wyatt (despite hating his name) because he's a good looking hero who's been hurt emotionally. Which makes me feel like I'm being emotionally manipulated into liking him because of this past hurt. I want to dislike it because of this, but I don't.
4. I have so many Big Finish audios to listen to at the moment. November and December were months with a lot of good releases. I saved The Avengers (Steed & Peel vol 2) for Christmas and I loved it. I like how silly they make it. I know they were based on old comics and they've done them all now, but I am hoping they'll do some more anyway.
I'm onto Counter Measures now which I love. At least now they've back to doing individual stories again. I only got into these audios because they brought the first one out as I was writing a story where Ian and Barbara land just after they left, rather than in 1965, and get caught up in the events of Remembrance of the Daleks. I'm glad I did - they might be my favourite Big Finish audios.
I also have the latest UNIT box set, which will be tough straight after Counter Measures. Much as I love Kate, I love Rachel more. Plus I don't care that much about the other UNIT characters (even Oswald - I don't like her nearly as much as the rest of fandom does).
5. So far all the Fandom Snowflake things have been repeats from previous years, so I haven't been that excited about doing it yet. I may change my mind, but going back to work last week was just so hard (but it got easier to wake up before dawn as the week went on). I usually go back to work on the first working day of the year because no one wants to work. And this year we spent most of the day chatting and talking about how unmotivated we are were. By day 2 anyone who's had an extra day off gets no sympathy.
Categories: Fan fic, TV, Work : Chocolate Box, Gen Prompt Bingo, Timeless, Work |
Comments are off for this post |